Upgrading to Lightroom 6 is not as easy as it was with Lightroom 5. This article outlines the differences and shows how to work around the challenges.
I am sure you have already heard about the release of Lightroom 6 and the impressive list of new features. For a detailed list of all the new features, I suggest reading Victoria Bampton’s blog post What’s New in Lightroom CC / 6.0?. For a comparison between Lightroom 6 and Lightroom CC, please read Laura Shoe’s blog post Which Should I Buy, Lightroom CC 2015 or Lightroom 6?.
1.Lightroom 6 upgrade facts
I am also sure that many of you are thinking about upgrading your existing Lightroom installation. Before you go ahead, here are some facts you need to consider before upgrading:
- I am also sure that many of you are thinking about upgrading your You will need an Adobe ID, even for downloading a trial version. If you don’t have one, register a new Adobe ID here. Once you are logged in with your Adobe ID, you can download the trial versions for Windows and Mac.
- Lightroom 6 needs to be activated online, using your Adobe ID and your serial number. This was not the case with earlier Lightroom versions.
- While you can purchase full versions for example from Amazon, it appears that at least for now, updates can only be purchased from Adobe directly.
- To purchase an upgrade from Adobe, you need to do the following:
- Go to the Adobe Photoshop collection page (Products -> Photoshop Collection) and click on “Buy” next to the Lightroom 6 entry. Either you can change the type immediately to “Upgrade”, or you can do it later after you have added the product to the shopping basket.
- For Europe, the price for the update is EUR 74,40 (you may see a slightly different price based on your local VAT).
- I had issues changing the product type in the shopping cart using Chrome, with Firefox it worked flawlessly. This may have been caused by a Chrome plugin, though. I did not have the time to investigate this issue.
Can you support this site?
Do you find this article helpful? To show your appreciation, why not buy me a coffee? ☕ No subscription. No further obligations. Just a quick and simple sign of gratitude. 🙏