Some pictures taken during a visit of New York, between December 29, 2012 and January 8, 2013
This was our first time in New York, and I have to say I was really impressed. However, one thing I would do different in the future is the timing of the visit – for two reasons:
- Our original – in hindsight somewhat naive – plan was to participate in the Times Square New Year’s Eve celebration. After learning that we would have to be there already early in the afternoon and spend between 9 and 12 hours at temperatures below 0°C, we dropped the plan.
- Everyone we talked to told us that this is the season of the year with the most visitors. The streets are really crowded, especially in areas with tourist attractions. Our next visit will be in spring.
New York Tips and Impressions
Here are some tips and impressions I would like to share:
- Visit the 9/11 Memorial site. You will understand the dimension of the event. I was really impressed by how the site was designed, the twin pools and the spirit of renewal. Unfortunately the museum was not open at the time of our visit.
- When you take a helicopter ride, try to get a seat on the right side of the helicopter, especially when you want to take pictures – the view is better.
- When you visit the Empire State Building in high season, do yourself a favor and buy Main Deck Express tickets online. In total, this saved us more than 3 hours of queuing. No kidding. You can skip the Top Deck, the view is not really different and you have to shoot through glass. As an alternative, try the Top of the Rock at Rockefeller Center with a view of Central Park.
- When you visit Bryant Park while the Holiday Shops are open, try the apple cider with cinnamon sticks. You can thank me later :-)